Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A Super Nova

Today was a going away, thank you, and love party at our school. Our art teacher of 11 years is leaving to join her family in Hungary. Both middle and high school staff gathered, around food of course, to acknowledge her impact on the school, themselves and our children. And that's what makes Lisa, and our school unique, at least to me. We are small enough to see our students as more like our children, and therefore we seem at times to be more like a family. It hurts to have an integral part of the family blast off to another sphere, it hurts my heart, my throat and my eyes. A Super Nova is a star which explodes so violently that for a few weeks the star outshines its parent galaxy. Lisa hasn't exploded, but she outshines because of her heart. We will miss her. I, very much.

1 comment:

LS said...

Thanks Joyce, you know I am crying right now. I won't really be able to say good-bye to you but rather until we meet again, as Larry put it so well. I will miss Lee so much and everyday this fall on my walk to school I will think of all our wonderful drives to and from work. (forgetting Aniken, the mornings I woke up when I heard your car or your phone, stopping for fresh vegetables, gas pricing, the rush to Zander's bus, hobby lobby, buying boxes, and just talking and talking - I'll miss it) I always wanted to tell you how much I appreciated the fact that you wanted to ride to work with me even though it took longer than just going in by yourself. Thanks for all the help with my boys, you are a pro-mom for boys. We all love you so much!!!